Friday, November 26, 2010

Preschoolers can smell fear....

So I'm a minister in my spare time. My day job that supports my ministry habit is preschool music teacher. Here's our company's website...for real...
It's a great job. Low stress from a musical perspective. It's a whole lot of fun. I'm not ashamed to say that I've become a pseudo-celebrity to about 100 kids across DFW. Here's some lessons I've learned in my 2 plus years of singing The Wheels on the Bus.

1) Immunity is like a muscle...it must be exercised.
- This is legit. I was sick no less than 5 times my first 2 months doing this job. Now, while my whole family just got knocked out by a virus for 5-8 days, I had it for 2. The more I'm around sick kids who slobber all over my guitar or instruments, the higher my white cell count, I'm sure of it.

2) Preschoolers can smell other preschoolers on you.
- I have been out and about by myself many times since starting this job for all sorts of reasons. If you don't know what I look like, good. Let's just say I could probably do pretty well as a Zack Galifinakis double at college parties. At the store, the zoo, the mall, stopped at a stop light...it never fails. I will be stared at by children. Some reach out to hold my hand. Some just stare. Today at wal-mart, I was accosted by a 2 year old carrying a Dora doll with nary a mother in sight. Maybe it's that I look like Zack Galifinakis, I don't know. But if that's the case, then WAY too many parents have let their kids see "The Hangover" and that's a whole other post.
And just for the record, parents. If your kid acts like he knows me, it's because I play guitar at his school. I'm not creeping. I promise.

3) Little girls & boys need their Dads.
- This is the sad truth about my job. I will be the only male most of these kids interact with on a regular basis. I've had kids I've just met come up to me, wanting a hug, and saying "I love you, Mr. Jon" Now kids will be kids. Innocence pours out of them and shows up in various ways. What I do know is this. The kids who have the most discipline problems & the most emotional problems are the ones whose mom's work like crazy because dad's not around. It's just a fact. Don't hear me as judgmental here. I'm just sharing my observations. No girl should hug a man they see once a week and say they love them. Ever.

4) Jesus loves the little children
- I have seen this truth more than anything else in this job. There is an abundance of grace God shows these kids who seemingly have every material thing. He gives them a place where they are loved unconditionally (for the most part) and a structure they may not receive at home. I won't lie to you and do this all the time, but I will tell you that when I think about it, I pray for them. Some of these kids go home to great families. Some go home to apathetic families. Some may go home to terror. But the truth is God cares about each and every one of these children who have been born into this mess of a world.

I went in to this job thinking it'd be temporary. I thought I would do this for a few months and then move on to my real calling. But as time goes on and I stick around more, I realize God places people when and where He wants. I'm able to pray for hundreds of kids every week, whether they know or not. I've been able to offer hope to some teachers as they struggle with serious life issues. And I get to play rock star for 4 year olds. That's kind of awesome. Whether I think this is my "real" calling is irrelevant. Everyone's "real" calling is to love Jesus with their lives. That's not contingent on location, job, or status. I'm using my gifts and talents to glorify Him by singing The Itsy Bitsy Spider....over and over and over and over. Seriously...it's getting ridiculous how many times I've sung that song.

1 comment:

  1. I can tell within five minutes of talking to a teenage girl about, literally, anything at all, whether or not she's got a dad in her house and what kind of dad he is. It's INSANE how much that relationship (or lack of) defines a person.

    ReplyDelete