Monday, August 22, 2011

School of Jesus Rock

The last couple of posts, I've discussed some paradigm shifting ministry ideas (for me at least) that we're implementing in our church. It's by no means the biggest thing going on in my life, but it's pretty stinking exciting. The School of Jesus Rock is very close. Have I shown you our logo?

Behind every lesson and every band, we will strive to instill these core values in every student who comes through our care.

1) Humility
2) Responsibility
3) Excellence

See, I now understand that it's not about me, it's about Jesus. EVERYTHING's about Jesus. Colossians 1:15-17. If ALL things hold together in Him, and He (Jesus) is before ALL things, then my guitar is not about me. My bass is not about me. My bass is a tool God wants to use to show the world Jesus. Shoot, Landon's Bass Clarinet is a tool God wants to use to show the CHS band Jesus. Everything is about Jesus.

Talent doesn't nullify that truth. In fact, with talent comes the responsibility of using that talent for God's glory. In Matthew 25, Jesus instructs his followers in the parable of the talents. He expects us to use what He has given us wisely. If we simply hold on to our talent and never use it or craft it for His purposes, God calls us "wicked & slothful". This is true across the board. God has given me a gift in musical ability. For me to waste that by not taking care of my instrument is an insult to the creator of the instrument. For me to waste my talent on myself is an insult to the creator of me.

However, just because it's not about me doesn't mean that I don't need to be the best musician I can be. Talent is not enough. Talent must be honed and crafted for the glory of God. Because God has given us Himself; Because of His great love for us and the gifts He has lavished on us (and they are MANY no matter your circumstance; Romans 8:12-17) Our responsibility is to be the absolute BEST musician we can be to the glory of God. Paul encourages the church in Colossae to do everything in the name of the Lord. Then, in case we think our circumstances exempt us from this, Paul implores slaves to work as if working for God, not men. (Colossians 3). If God expects slaves to work hard, how much more are we to work? We are free, both in body and spirit. We are not slaves to anything save Christ Himself. Inasmuch, we must reflect His excellence in everything we do. What a joy it is that we can strive for excellence in something we love to do.

So lessons start the week of Labor day, September 6. It's $100 a month with a one time $50 assessment/registration fee. Lessons are in small group format and we will put you in a band as quickly as possible. For more info or to register, visit our web page at www.fbccoppell.org/schoolofjesusrock

I believe in this ministry and hope you'll join us in the journey.

My wife's 4 months pregnant, by the way. Number 3. AND my little girl had her first day of Kindergarten today, too. So...somehow let that guilt you into signing up? Maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment