Friday, March 12, 2010

I love Jesus

When I proposed a "I love Jesus" t-shirt for last summer, my friend who designed them was visibly...uh... disappointed(?) I think that's the word I'm looking for. I think he was looking for something more creative. Some scripture reference that's not normally on a t-shirt, or some funny statement. He ended up doing the shirt and they looked AWESOME! That's cause he's awesome. You should use him for all your design/movie reviewing needs.
As a man who grew up in the South, in a Baptist Church, sired by ministers who were sired by ministers. There are truths that were spoken around me and I started saying before I grasped their full meaning. Words like "Hallelujah", "Hosanna", "Glory", "Grace", "Savior". All these words I heard and intellectually understood. But in the same way my parents taught me to spell, read, tie my shoe, play piano, and brush my teeth, they taught me to say the right Christian things. They also encouraged me to think, create, and reason. So whereas I understood how to say all these massive truths, it wasn't until later that God penetrated my heart with the simplest truth of them all. God loves me.

and because of that...I Love Jesus

1 John 4, the apostle John describes God as love. He goes to great lengths to describe how we can only know love because God has loved us first. This is how we know what love is. NOT that we loved God, but that HE loved us and sent His son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.
Romans 5. God demonstrated His own love for us in this. While we were still sinners, Christ dies for us.

When I think about this, an immense love for my Savior wells up. I encourage you to think about these verses. read through 1 John. read through Romans 5. Think about God's love for you. See if that doesn't compel you to Love Jesus. If it hits you to the core like it has me, all your good actions begin to come from a place of deep affection for Christ. And, hopefully, your sinful actions will taste rotten in your soul.
Because God loved me first,
I love Jesus
I love my wife
I clean the house
I do the dishes
I speak truth to her
I pray for her
I love my kids
I pray over them...out loud
I play with them
I teach them great truths about God
I love myself
(I'm still working on this one)
but I should stop eating junk and start exercising
I love the world Jesus died to save and rose to reconcile to Himself
(I'm still working on this one, too)
God save me from my chicken-heartedness

That's all I got today.

No comments:

Post a Comment