Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Angels Don't Sing

Seriously...

I didn't believe it either the first time I heard it. Choirs of angels playing harps and singing songs is a Christmas staple. So many of my favorite worship songs talk about us joining the angels as we sing. It seems a bit...off...saying they don't sing. But let me preface the rest of this post by saying this. This is a trivial issue in the grand scheme of things. The bible doesn't expressly mention angels singing, but I don't know for sure. Angels might be apt to whistle while they battle demons or something. Maybe they're excellent rappers. But no word for word or thought for thought translation of the scriptures mentions any angel singing. The message says it a couple of times, but that's not a translation, it's a paraphrase. So for now, just go with me on this.

Here are some truths we learn from this.
1)If the angels don't sing, It reaffirms that we are created in the image and likeness of God.
-God sings, He created us to sing and commands us to do so. No other created being sings with any understanding or comprehension of their song. This means that when we sing to God, we are able to express things about God and to God that no angel could begin to fathom. We are able to express our love, adoration, reverence, and awe of God and His power with one another through song. He sings over us. We sing back to Him. Angels don't know that much like they can't know the saving grace of Jesus Christ. Zephaniah 3:17 mentions God singing over us as He rejoices. We're commanded to sing in scripture all over the place. Psalm 47, psalm 51, Psalm 68...let's just say most of Psalms. Ephesians 5, Colossians 3, Hebrews 12. It's everywhere.

2) If angels don't sing, it means music is not the primary form the praise of God takes.
- In every instance in scripture where the angels are praising God, they proclaim or say these great phrases to one another. They continually praise God by speaking to one another. In Revelation 4 and 5, the living creatures and the elders never stop saying the praise they utter. John seems like a smart dude. He didn't seem to put his foot in his mouth as much as some of the other disciples. So I'd like to think he'd know the difference between speaking and singing. Same thing goes for Isaiah. In Isaiah 6, the seraphim called out to one another. This means that those beings which are around God all the time speak His praises and call out to one another concerning His glory and worth. I don't blame them for not singing...if I sing too long, I get really hoarse.
But it also means we shouldn't approach music as the only way or even the primary way we worship Jesus. He is worshipped in the way we speak, in the way we conduct business, in the way we do our homework. The way we approach life reflects the way we view God. The way we approach life flows out of the object of our worship. If we worship ourself, our lives are all about us. If we worship money, our lives are all about money. If we worship twinkies, our lives are all about twinkies. You picking up what I'm putting down? For me, it's comfort right now. I want everything to be comfortable, so my life reflects me trying to build comfort and ease. Jesus is most glorified in me when I am most satisfied in Him...someone smart said that. John Piper I'm pretty sure.


3) If angels don't sing, it makes every angelic encounter that much more terrifying.
- I mean, I'd be freaking out if a bunch of glowing dudes showed up and began shouting, wouldn't you? That's probably why they're always saying "don't be afraid". Maybe it should have gone something like..."I know we're yelling in unison and everything, but it's nothing to faint over, ok?" The encounters in scripture make perfect sense this way, you know? Isaiah cries out "Woe is me! I am ruined!" This was AFTER the angels spoke their praise to God, AFTER the doorposts and thresholds shook. After hearing something like that, I would definitely be aware of my complete depravity.
And I don't know about you, but a song never made me leave in the middle of work to go check out a barn. Why else would shepherds leave work to go see a baby? If a large army of angels yelled out God's glory, peace, and favor to me in unison, I'd do whatever they said....gladly.

4) If the angels don't sing, then when WE sing to God, it shouldn't be taken lightly.
- This is a gift we have been given. We are able to express our deepest emotions and longings in song. Music touches something in our souls in a way that nothing else can. It gives us a way to declare things to God together as one. It's also a natural reaction to God's goodness. The scriptures mention creation breaking into song (Isa 49:13, Isa. 52:9) This is because our natural reaction to God's goodness is to praise God with singing. Adam's reaction to Eve was a song. Mary's reaction to Jesus' conception was a song. Moses' reaction to God's deliverance of Israel at the Red Sea was a song. David's reaction to...well to everything was a song.

Now in researching this little post here, I came across a passage in Revelation where the living creatures and the elders are given a new song (Rev. 5:9-10) So there is a valid argument for angels singing. But whether or not angels sing isn't really the main point. The point God's trying to drive home in my own heart is that our time together singing praise to Him, praying to Him in song, and ascribing worth to Him is not something to be approached flippantly. If you begin to sing, sing thoughtfully...sing prayerfully. Don't crank up the latest Cee Lo song and make everyone wonder who you're so mad at (that was just for me, i think) Sing songs that bring honor to the One who called you out of darkness and into light. The songs we sing sunday morning should be a response to God and the way we've been loving Him all week. Our times of singing together shouldn't be met with critical spirits, but with joy and thanksgiving that we can all say the same thing at the same time to the same God who loves us and gave Himself up for us.

I do like the thought of Angel rappers, though. They've already got the natural bling to pull it off, you know? Too much?

No comments:

Post a Comment