Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Thinking if I write, maybe...

I've really started to like blogging. My brain has time to process things before they come out of my mouth and this is very beneficial to my brain. He's way smarter than my mouth gives him credit for. I find myself in a familiar place. This place is dark and hard to get out of. It all feels very familiar, like one of those recurring dreams about becoming a frog, then being caught by a fisherman only to remember that rainbows are not actually slides leading to pools of melted vanilla ice cream. You have that dream, too, right? Just me? Oh.

It's funny how disconcerting life becomes when you take steps away from God....well not really away from God. It's more like I decided to sleep in and God took a nice jog to enjoy the morning. This feels circumstantial, though. It always feels circumstantial. Like if only this one thing could happen, then I wouldn't be in this predicament. But that's never the case, is it? That "one thing" never really meets the expectations. Thus sanctification.

Sanctification is the process of unlearning the lie and believing the truth instead.

The lie is this. "I am god"
The truth is this "The LORD is God"

When our parents sinned in the garden in Genesis 3, they believed the lie that they could be "like God" Subsequently they believed God doesn't want us to be like Him or wants to withhold good things from us. So when i don't get my latte in 20 seconds, I'm hacked off.

When we cling to the Truth, our perspective shifts and our suffering turns from pain to potential. Even our notion of what suffering is shifts. We start considering the pain not as an obstacle to overcome, but as a tool God will use to make us more like Him and expand His kingdom.

The kicker for me is that I know what it takes to unlearn the lie and believe the Truth...I just don't do it. I'd rather shut my brain off with TV, internet, music, or food. I'd rather do that than sit and dwell on the truths flowing from the Truth that HE is God. If I am still, then I'll know He's God and will be broken that I've thought the opposite for however long.

I've been created to be satisfied by God alone. He is the "One Thing" that will make me content.

"Why do you worry about what you eat or drink, or what you will wear? The pagans chase after that junk. But you...seek God's kingdom first. Seek His righteousness first. Then He will take care of you. " Matthew 6:32-33 (my paraphrased version)

Fret not yourself because of evildoers;
be not envious of wrongdoers!
For they will soon fade like the grass
and wither like the green herb.

Trust in the LORD, and do good;
dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.
Delight yourself in the LORD,
and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him, and he will act.
He will bring forth your righteousness as the light,
and your justice as the noonday.

Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way,
over the man who carries out evil devices!

Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath!
Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.
For the evildoers shall be cut off,
but those who wait for the LORD shall inherit the land.


Psalm 37:1-9


I feel better now. Not completely, but better.

1 comment:

  1. "Sanctification is the process of unlearning the lie and believing the truth instead."

    In a world where everyone has an opinion on what is best for you, the only thing of real value is the truth. We owe it to one another to preach the truth, first and foremost.

    ReplyDelete